|Photo by Tran from Pexels |
The storefront windows are the face of a business. They can make or break a customer's first impressionof a brand, and this is not just about putting together the perfect display. Don't forget also keep your windows spick-and-span.
Dirty windows can discourage potential customers. Not to mention, they give off the impression that a store doesn’t care much about hygiene.
Now that it’s been established how important it is to clean our storefront, the next question is how? It turns out that cleaning glass windows isn’t as difficult as it seems. Even non-professionals can do it with the right techniques at hand.
When it’s said that even beginners can clean their storefront windows on their own, it’s no joke. But to get the right results, you need to use the right tools.
Using a sponge or towel alone won’t give you squeaky-clean windows. Here are effective recommended window-cleaning tools and supplies:
● Window scraper
● Microfiber cloth
● Utility bucket
● Soap or window-cleaner solution
Having this equipment in your window cleaning arsenal will go a long way in keeping your storefront windows crystal clear all year round.
It’s time to do the dirty work! Effective window cleaning requires using the correct tools with the correct method. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- In the utility bucket, dilute the window-cleaning solution with water two to one. This may also depend on the product used. Make sure to follow the instructions on its label.
- Squeeze out the solution on the windows using the sponge. A sprayer can also do the work.
- See anything stuck to the glass, like mud or a piece of gum? Scrape it off using the window scraper.
- Dry off the glass using the squeegee. Make sure to cover the window from corner to corner.
- Dab off excess water using the microfiber towel, but avoid wiping the areas that are already dry. This keeps the windows streak-free after cleaning.
That covers the basics.
One important thing to note is to properly dry the storefront windows, especially for stores located along the street. Dust and debris can get stuck on wet windows, leaving them foggy and grimy. The longer the windows are left in this condition, the harder they will be to clean. That’s the last thing you need when you’re busy running a business.
The squeegee is an excellent tool that gets rid of the soap solution on glass. While it’s a great tool on its own, there will still be excess water left on the surface that can gather dirt and grime. Wipe it off using a microfiber towel to leave a spotless surface.
One usual mistake when cleaning windows is neglecting the other side. While the street-facing side of the window tends to gather more dirt, the indoor side can also accumulate its fair share. Besides, you can’t achieve flawless storefront windows when the inside is still dusty and dirty.
A pro tip is to clean the inside windows first before cleaning the dirtier side of the windows outside. This way, it will be easier to clean off the minimal dirt on the tools before starting on the other side.
Now that you’ve tackled the vital steps, it’s best to strengthen your knowledge with these window-cleaning techniques:
● Use ammonia. This substance is effective in removing grease and fingerprints on glass surfaces. Be careful when using it, as it can damage the tinted glass.
● Wipe with damp cloth. Streaks can appear if a towel is too wet.
● Replace squeegee blades. Squeegee blades can wear out over time and begin to lose their effectiveness. Professional window cleaners even replace their blades every after a project. Look out for signs of wear, and replace yours as needed.
● Avoid cleaning in direct sunlight. Cleaning windows with the sun overhead can result in streaking.
There’s a saying that goes, “You never get a second chance in making a good first impression.” This certainly rings true for any business running a store. Don’t put off cleaning the storefront window for some other time. You’ll never know when a potential customer happens to pass by.
With the right cleaning tools and techniques, getting streak-free storefront windows will be easy-peasy.